As a way of giving back to the communities we serve, we are proud to be hosting our 2019 “Workplace of the Future” Design Competition to help support and promote the field of architecture and interior design. We encourage eligible U.S. graduate and undergraduate students* majoring in architecture or interior design within the New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania area to use their creativity and innovative ideas to express their vision of the “Workplace of the Future.”
Three (3) Finalists will be awarded the following Prizes:
- The Winner will receive a $3,750 scholarship, a summer internship with TPG Architecture, “Workplace of the Future” design award, and sponsorship prizes.
- 2nd Place Finalist will receive a $2,000 scholarship, a Certificate of Achievement, and sponsorship prizes.
- 3rd Place Finalist will receive a $1,000 scholarship, a Certificate of Achievement, and sponsorship prizes.
* Entrants must still be attending school in the Fall Semester of 2019.
- Eligibility. You must be 18 years of age or older and attending an accredited school within the New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania area majoring in architecture or interior design. Entrants must also be attending school in the Fall Semester of 2019.
- Contest Period. The Contest begins January 2, 2019 12:00 am Eastern Time (ET) Zone in the United States and ends on April 5, 2019, 11:59 pm (ET) (“Contest Period”). All dates are subject to change.
- Fill out the Entry Form in its entirety. A confirmation email will be sent with submission instructions.
- One entry only per Entrant. Entries to be provided in digital format only. No hard copies will be accepted. Each entry must include a floor plan, supporting statement, and 7 – 10 renderings of the design in PDF and/or JPG format (6 MB max.). Each page may include a maximum of 3 drawings/renderings on a 11” x 17” page with a brief description of each space. NOTE: Please do not include your name, school affiliation, and company branding (company names or logos).
- Who are you designing for?
- Law Firm located in New York City made up of roughly 150 employees: 20 Partners, CFO + 10 finance support team, CIO + 5 IT support, CMO + 6 marketing / PR staff, COO + 5 operations team members, 20 Counsels, 20 Lawyers, 15 Paralegals, 15 Corporate Associates, 15 Associates, 7 human resources staff, 10 administrative support, and 2 receptionists.
- Design parameters required in your drawing (DOWNLOAD the BLANK OFFICE SPACE PDF) illustrates locations of elevators, stairs, emergency exits, window locations, ceiling height, and beams). Be as innovative and creative with the office space around these non-negotiable, fixed parameters:
- Approximately 20,300 sq. ft.
- 12′ finished ceiling height
- Common area(s) such as restrooms
- Must comply with New York City building codes
- Supporting statement. Provide a caption for your drawing. A supporting statement will be required that articulates your vision of the “Workplace of the Future.” Acceptable formats:
- Written – Maximum word count: 500
- Video – Maximum length: 2 minutes (YouTube or Vimeo with a link included with your submission)
- Event presentation. You must agree to attend ModernfoldStyles Customer Appreciation Event and present your submission to our Judging Panel (5 minutes)
- Public Voting. Online public voting begins on April 6, 2019 12:00 am ET and ends on April 21, 2019 11:59 ET. Dates may be subject to change at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. All approved submissions will be displayed on the Contest Site providing the general public the opportunity to cast one vote per Entrant. Contestants and the public audience can promote an Entry on social media using the hashtag #futureworkplacedesign. Public voting on social media must use (1) the assigned hashtag for this Contest, (2) a link to the Contest Site and (3) state what design they are voting for to be considered a valid vote. Social media posts from the Entrant will not be considered and tabulated as a vote.
- Judging Panel. At the end of the Public Voting period, the judging panel will select 3 candidates from the Top 10 with the highest amount of votes. The 3 Finalists will present their submissions at ModernfoldStyle’s Customer Appreciation Event on May 2, 2019 at ModernfoldStyle’s Showroom + Acoustic Design Lab located in South Hackensack, NJ. The judging panel will make their final decision and award a Winner and 2 runner-ups at the Event. The judging panel reserves the right to select potential Finalists that may not be in the Top 10 chosen by popular vote if they deem the submissions receiving the top votes does not comply with the Contest Rules or judging criteria.
Judging Criteria. Each Design will be evaluated and scored based on the following “Criteria”: (i) innovation; (ii) artistic and creative skill – considering the representation of the Contest theme “Workplace of the Future”, as well as the unique and novel approach to the Design; (iii) although there is no budget constraint, it must be architecturally feasible (iv) communication of the Contest theme in both the Design and supporting statement – how well the Entrant explains their concept of the”Workplace of the Future”; (v) application of the non-negotiable, fixed design parameters; and (vi) adherence to the Contest Requirements and these Rules. Additionally, it must:
- Convey a deep understanding of the needs of a future workspace environment taking into consideration a recent article published in Architectural Record and a Harvard Business study on the impact of the open floor plan and human collaboration
- Support a business culture of innovation, collaboration, and creativity while still maintaining practical spaces
- Create an optimal environment to address different worker typologies
- Promote a productive workspace environment while integrating balance and wellness into the design
- Communicate the Contest theme in both design and supporting statement
Design Director, Principal
Brian is a Principal, Design Director and Global Client Relationships Leader in Gensler New York. He is known for his award-winning work with advertising, media, technology and fashion companies and is widely respected for his creative approach to design challenges. With an expertise in advertising and media workplaces, Brian has had projects featured in prominent publications including Architectural Record, The Wall Street Journal, WIRED, Interior Design, Contract, AdAge, and The New York Times. He is a member of the American Institute of Architects and a Registered Architect in New York and California. Brian participated as a Guest Sketcher in the 2014 “Guess a Sketch” charity fundraiser at the Center for Architecture and has been a guest design critic at Pratt Institute, The New York School of Interior Design and The New School.
Managing Director, New York
Huntsman Architectural Group
Strategy, people, and design.
As managing director of the New York office, Sandy provides strategic direction and design leadership, as well as operational management and business development. She is passionate about partnering with clients to articulate their vision within the built environment. Throughout her career, she has worked on a broad range of design, planning and workplace strategy projects in the corporate, retail, and hospitality sectors. Recent clients include Moody’s, Aquent, Fenwick & West LLP, and Shorenstein Properties on a national basis. Sandy received a Bachelor of Science in Interior Design from Marymount College Tarrytown in New York, with a minor in Studio Art from Fortman Studios in Florence, Italy.
Design Director of Interiors
Brent is an inspiring, award-winning designer who has transformed his client’s companies, strengthening their corporate cultures through experiential design. He considers space and form at many scales while understanding the importance of interior environments that are human-centric. He has a keen ability to embed himself in his client’s needs and develops tailored design responses that positively influence their business drivers and employee engagement. Since joining Perkins+Will, Brent has focused on integrating both architectural and interior design to create solutions that cross boundaries, and encourage emotional connections with space.
Director of Design
With nearly 20 years of experience, Anthony is a talented designer who is highly regarded for his problem-solving skills and resourceful approach to complex and challenging design briefs. Anthony brings a unique design sensibility to his projects, and is proficient at developing expressive design concepts, employing a variety of media and conceptual tools to explore design options, while developing a clear direction for the design intent for each project. In his role as SBLM’s Design Director, in addition to managing and guiding his team of designers, Anthony has oversight over all designs for the firm’s clientele for whom he offers inventive and thoughtful solutions. A skilled communicator, Anthony has a talent for clearly and concisely describing complex design concepts and goals to SBLM’s clients.
Mavis has been with TPG since 2010, and has over 30 years of experience as an interior designer and team leader. During her tenure, she has developed a large and multifaceted workplace portfolio with an emphasis in financial services. While she draws upon her experience and evolving vision to design successful spaces for all her clients, she believes that understanding nuance is the key to properly caring for each one. As Managing Executive and Studio Creative Director, she articulates a client’s unstated goals, ensuring the completed design reflects their unique ideal.